Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is breaking your arm a rite of passage for first grade?


Well, I knew a day like yesterday could certainly happen - I got the call at noon yesterday that Aubrey fell from the monkey bars. Nothing stops a mother's heart more than the thought of her baby sitting in pain and not being with her so I drove like a bat out of you know where to get to her. We went to the doctor and sure enough the little monkey broke both of her bones in her lower left arm (the radius and the ulna for all you anatomy buffs). She did it up good for sure!! She was so brave and my only complaint (haven't seen all the bills yet mind you) was she picked a Bronco blue cast. She will wear this cast for 3 weeks (unless she has to have surgery - please God "No!" - we will know this in a week), and then hopefully she will get a smaller cast. She is doing much better today, and I am equally as proud of her protective big sister who has been very sweet to her little sis!! Although, Taylor did say she wished she could have a cast too - I sure hope her wish does not come true I think all my gray hairs just multiplied this week!

6 comments:

Angie said...

What gray hairs? I think it is a right of passage. 3 of my 4 boys have broken theirs. Only one to go. I am sure you where hoping for a hot pink cast or maybe a gold one?

jody said...

i LOVE the Bronco blue cast :)
so sorry she broke her arm. dang monkey bars :)

The Oberoi Girls said...

I hope she doesn't have to have surgery!! I dread the day I get the phone call. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it never happens. Good job on being so brave on both of your parts.

And BTW...Go Broncos!!!!

Meg said...

Poor thing! Sorry to hear about Aubry's arm! And yes, her color choice will need to be discussed at some point, perhaps she was suffering from shock when she picked it?! Let's hope! Fingers crossed for no surgery!

Sara K. said...

Oh dear! Not only is your little monkey a wild-child, but she is VERY VERY confused about the correct order of things. Gold casts really show off your Vandal pride. Tim needs to remember where he graduated from and stop indoctrinating his girls in bad ways. Sorry to hear about the broken bone. I bet it was scary. I have never broken a bone and I always remember wanting to have a cast so badly. They seemed so cool in elementary school. Now as an adult I think that is pretty funny! :) -S

Patricia said...

Like Sara, I always wished for a broken bone. Let it be known that I no longer have that wish and will be fine if I die an old lady in my bed without ever knowing what having a cast is really like.

That said, I can say as a recess monitor that I hope I never have to make the broken bone phone call to a parent.